We have a particular interest in students; about one third of our patients are undergraduate or postgraduate students of Oxford University and a number of other patients are recent alumni, students of other Universities, or faculty members.

Medical Certificates for the University

As college doctors for a number of colleges, we are used to providing medical evidence in support of special exam arrangements, consideration of under-performance, confirmation of disability, applications for extensions, or to suspend student status on medical grounds. In 2015 the University has introduced a new form for such evidence (which our practice has been involved in developing). This new form and other details are at http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/edc/resources/medicalcerts/

Please make an appointment with one of the doctors (not a locum or a trainee) if you need such support. Please make sure you bring details of the relevant academic examinations or assessments. If you have consulted a doctor or other professional (e.g. counsellor) it may help to bring a report from them and/or to ensure they have your permission to talk to us. We can only provide robust evidence of illness if you have consulted us during that illness, or we have received evidence from another professional.

If a relatively junior tutor or lecturer has suggested you should "get a note for your exams", please check with the Senior Tutor (or equivalent) of your College to find out whether it is likely to be helpful. The University is very clear that the vast majority of medical certificates citing factors affecting performance, do not result in any change to the class of degree, especially when an illness impaired revision for a short time, affecting all papers generally.

All certificates for students are not part of our NHS work. Most colleges for whom we are 'college doctors' have negotiated an arrangement so that we do not charge individuals for certificates relating to Oxford degrees. Certificates for other institutions will require payment (e.g. certificates of fitness to study abroad, scholarship applications, confirmation of vaccination etc.).

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website